Monday, October 13, 2008

...of sardines in a can and portable outhouses


A few weeks ago during Ramadhan I had to attent a meeting at KL Sentral...therefore I naturally took the commuter there. Frankly, it's been awhile since I boarded that train to anywhere. And was I blown away by the experience of it all. Well, I guess I am too sub-urbanian and have lost my city survival instinct.

Firstly, the train was pack like sardines in cans, with no breathing or anatomical movement space... I think if someone were to make a slight movementI am very sure that it will cause a ripple similar to dominoes tumbling! I rememdered calling my daughter (who I'm suppose to meet up later at the end station) about it and she told me that that's the way it is and if I don't get on the train I will never to get back home...she was right there. So I just stood along with the crowd and when the train arrived I just allowed myself to be swept like cork on a turbulant river. And so that was how I was able to get into the stifling train. I told mysef it will be an awfully long time before I dare enbarked on that experience again.
Then there was another thing that puzzled me...why are there portable outhouses right beside the tracks, with doors facing the passengers on the train? I was appalled...especially thinking of those poor people who after finishing doing their 'business' be it big or small, being set upon a hundred gazes from curious train passengers. How does one survive such 'traumatic' embarassment, I wonder. Maybe some will say that desperate times forgoes such trifle humiliation.
Ah well each to his own...

No comments: